AASD Fact Sheet
|Board of Directors:
|Dr. Paul Burton, DO
||Dr. John Steinmann, DO
|Dr. Charles Edwards, MD
|Dr. Tom Eickmann, MD
|Dr. Roland Winter, MD
||Kevin Pugar, CPA
The AASD’s mission is to protect patients, promote healthcare savings, and develop, endorse, and enforce standards for the advancement of ethical and legal surgeon-owned distributorships.
The American Association of Surgeon Distributors is a public benefit non-profit association. The purpose of the association is to provide an industry-recognized set of standards for surgeon-owned distributorships and to grant membership to those distributorships that are fully compliant.
Standards and Criteria for Membership:
- Distributorship maintains a business structure consistent with Federal Self-Referral and Anti-Kickback statutes, and reports in compliance with the Physician Payment Sunshine Act.
- Distributorship demonstrates merit by proving to be the lowest average cost vendor of like implants during a comparable contract period.
- Distributorship annual price increases to customers do not exceed 3% above the consumer price index (CPI).
- Distributorship is a legitimate, free-standing stocking Distribution Company with employees, contracts, an address, a business license, and insurance.
- Distributorship demonstrates adherence to the AASD Product Evaluation Policy.*
- Distributorship demonstrates adherence to the AASD Employee Training Policy.*
- Distributorship demonstrates adherence to the AASD Disclosure Policy.*
- Distributorship demonstrates adherence to the AASD Investment and Distribution Policy.*
- Distributorship submits utilization data annually and demonstrates adherence to the AASD Appropriate Use Monitoring Policy.*
- Distributorship has written contracts with hospitals, with pricing that is consistent among hospitals within geographically isolated markets, and contract periods of at least one year.
- Distributorship does not leverage referrals to any hospital or surgery center.
- Distributorship does not require, pressure, or otherwise leverage physician owners’ use of the Distributorship devices.
* Click on each policy for expanded definitions.